Reactive Dog Intensive Course 12 Weeks
Starts: Thursday, November 10, 2022
Ends: Sunday, January 23, 2023
Class size limited to 14 students.
Thursday Evenings 7pm- Zoom Group Training and Support. You DO NOT need a Zoom account to join. You just need a smart phone or computer with a camera. I will send the link via email once fist payment and application are completed.
Everyone in this group is struggling with a reactive dog, and understands your frustrations and embarrassment. No judgement here-just teamwork and empathy. Most Zoom meetings will run about 90 minutes but expect that this first session will be a bit longer as we get to know each other, and I answer your questions and review the syllabus.
Saturday, Sunday, and Mondays 10am- 3pm-Expect to spend roughly an hour with me each week on one of these days/hours to work with you and your dog privately. We may work at your home, neighborhood, or community depending on your dog’s triggers. Since winter is approaching, you can schedule an hour between 10 am and 3pm, the warmest and brightest part of the day. Dress you and your dog accordingly. You are welcome to bring a family member that will also be doing behavioral protocols. Please no young children. Quiet, older children that can entertain themselves, may be allowed under certain circumstances. Please reach out if this might be you. It is preferable if you can maintain the same day/time each week throughout the 12 weeks. If you cannot do this, I can be somewhat flexible. Saturday November 12, 2022 is the first day for individual sessions.
Before you enroll
- Check your schedule. Basically, we don’t reschedule for anything but major weather and illness. If, for some reason, you cannot make a session, please give me 24 hours notice or you will not be refunded. This allows me to schedule someone else in your place. Our Online group is only rescheduled for power outages. Your dogs will not get better without consistency. There are several holidays in this segment and the only one we take off is Thanksgiving. That session is scheduled for Tuesday November 22 at 7pm. If you celebrate Christmas, schedule your individual session for Monday 26th. If you celebrate Kwanzaa, you might schedule your individual session on the 24th. If you celebrate Hanukkah, you might schedule your individual session on the 17th. If you are vacationing in October, November, or December, please choose to enroll at the next session in late January. Obviously, if you or your dog get sick, I understand. Any ghosting, or habitual non-attendance results in forfeiting your payments. See below for positive reinforcement for attendees.
- If your dog has not had a veterinary exam in the last year, do yourself and your dog a favor and go before this class starts. Frequently, medical issues can cause or contribute to your dog’s behavioral struggles.
- We will be using high value treats (meat, cheese, etc) If your dog has allergies, check with your veterinarian on what might be safe for your dog. A dog on a KD diet can likely use the canned version, and I will show you how to use it, mess free. Treat size should be no bigger than a petite pea.
- Equipment. You may NOT use a shock or “stim”, pinch or prong collars. If you are currently using them, they are not working, which is why you are reading this. Primarily though, this program is meant to change behavior NOT suppress it. In most cases, you will be using a harness and a sturdy 6’ leash. Depending on the severity of reactivity, bite history, and strength of your dog (and you) I may suggest a muzzle, 2 point leashing, longlines, etc.
- Understand that this can take some time to resolve, especially if your dog has been rehearsing this a long time, lived as a puppy with an adult reactive dog, currently lives with another reactive dog, or you have been inconsistent with methods and/or responses to your dog’s reactivity. For some dogs, it could take longer than 12 weeks. Everyone who takes this course should, at a minimum, know how to continue with behavioral protocols until your dog’s reactivity is resolved, and see a major improvement at the end of this course. If your dog needs medication, per your veterinarian, after you have started this program, we will hold your account in good standing 6 months, in order to give your dog a chance to reach a therapeutic dose. Then you may resume your course at the next available class.
- While it is not required, it would be helpful, if you work with the other group members, outside the group. This will NOT start until halfway through the program, once you understand behavior modification, and safety concerns. You might meet another group member at a park, parking at a distance, and then leaving one dog in the car (weather permitting) while you help someone by just standing with a floppy hat, or walking at a distance, past a reactive dog. That dog gets to practice for 15 – 30 minutes, then you and your dog get to practice. We will talk more about this as we go through the course.
This 12 week course consists of
- Roughly 18 hours of group training and support. Some weeks we will talk 1 hour, others 2 or more.
- Roughly 12 hours of private individual training with your dog. It might go longer than an hour, or as short as a half hour depending on your dog’s needs.
- Support from me in between sessions, during business hours.
- Support from others in the group.
Total Cost $1,775.00 Paid out in 3 installments. (Before class starts $900.00, 4th week $685.00, 6th week $190.00)
If you have read this far, you are probably serious, and struggling. I would not be teaching you positive reinforcement for your dog, without offering you some too.
- If your dog completes this program early, meaning your dog can comfortably walk by 3 pedestrians on a sidewalk, comfortably walk by 3 dogs either in the parking lot of a dog park, or walk through a pet store with another dog present, I will pay you back the remainder of your fees. For example, if you and your dog complete this on week 8, and your dog looks comfortable and content while doing this test, I will give you back 4 weeks of the fees you paid at the end of the course.
- If your dog struggles more than most, but healthy progress has been made, and you understand how to gain more progress by demonstrating how, you will get $200.00 back at the end of this course.
- If you miss one or less group sessions, and participate during the online portion, I will give you $100.00 back at the end of this course.
- I reserve the right to add positive reinforcement bonuses as I see fit.
Please email me at email@example.com for questions and to set up a telephone interview.
Canine Enrichment Online 8 weeks
Start: January 4, 2023
Ends: February 22, 2023
Wednesday Evenings at 7:00pm EST Sure, you could get your dog another ugly sweater, or a stuffed dreidel for the holidays, but it’s gone in a flash. What if, instead, you start the new year making your dog’s life more interesting? Learn the basics of scent training, make some toys, review toys on the market, and teach your dog some skills while your feet are up and you are watching a movie.
No special skills are required, just a little bit of time, a desire to do fun and interesting things with your best friend, and sometimes a handful of treats.
$100.00 8 Week button to buy class is at the bottom of the Services page, as is the application.